Sunday, February 20, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 22:5, 14, 16

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 22:5, 14, 16
"And David said, Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be builded for the LORD must be exceeding magnifical, of fame and of glory throughout all countries: I will therefore now make preparation for it. So David prepared abundantly before his death.
Now, behold, in my trouble I have prepared for the house of the LORD an hundred thousand talents of gold, and a thousand thousand talents of silver; and of brass and iron without weight; for it is in abundance: timber also and stone have I prepared; and thou mayest add thereto.
Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with thee."

David wasn't allowed to build the house of the Lord, but was promised his son would. I love how David prepared many things in abundance for when his son Solomon would build it. Then he charges his son to be up and doing, and the Lord would be with him. It made me think of how many times the Lord has had people lay the foundation work for others to build upon it. The pioneers had a history of planting crops for others to harvest as they crossed the plains. Planting seeds they would never benefit from. Another example is the Salt Lake temple and the 40 years it took to build. President Brigham Young began it and it wasn't until Wilford Woodruff was prophet that it was dedicated. This made me think of another quote attributed to President Woodruff. "In a general conference address in April 1950, Elder Richard L. Evans of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: “I recall a reported statement, attributed, as I remember it, to President Wilford Woodruff. Some of the brethren of his time are said to have approached him … and to have inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’” (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff, Chapter 24, "Preparing for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ")



Day 2519

No comments:

Post a Comment