Friday, February 5, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 136:16, 31

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 136:16, 31

"And let my servants that have been appointed go and teach this, my will, to the saints, that they may be ready to go to a land of peace.
My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom."

After the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum, President Brigham Young is now the leader of the saints. After having been pushed from Missouri and Illinois they are now gathered at Winter Quarters. Brigham Young has received and gives them the word and will of the Lord. The organization of the saints to travel west is given. These two verses stood out to me. The first because they were to make ready to go to a "land of peace". What comforting words that must have been for the saints. After having been driven so much, peace is what they needed. I know that would carry me through the difficult days ahead, knowing where I was going would bring needed peace.

The second verse is the mention that they are tried in all things, to prepare them to receive the glory the Lord has for them. That would make my suffering feel like there was divine purpose behind it. The last is bearing chastisements. Isn't that what refines and strengthens us if we humble ourselves to receive it. Chastisements can come from many sources, the greatest is our own. The hardest of times is when we are in the midst of a trial. Maybe that's the only time we will listen. As I reflect on all this, I think of them as diamonds in the rough being made ready to shine.



Day 2139

No comments:

Post a Comment