Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 133:4

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 133:4

"Wherefore, prepare ye, prepare ye, O my people; sanctify yourselves; gather ye together, O ye people of my church, upon the land of Zion, all you that have not been commanded to tarry."

This chapter has so much in it. One thing I noticed, it uses the word "prepare" eight times. We are to prepare for the coming of the Lord. That is the message I have heard very strongly for the last couple of years in general conference. This is the season we are in - preparing for the Lord's second coming. I noticed that the message is for all to prepare, but not all will gather upon the land of Zion. For some are to tarry where they are. My heart kind of sank, and I thought would I miss this great scene too? Would I be made to tarry where I am? Maybe that's part of what we prepare for. To be willing and obedient to stand where the Lord would have us during the winding up scenes of the last days. There has to be a purpose for those that are commanded to tarry.

As I sat reflecting on this thought of tarrying it came to my remembrance where I had heard of people that tarried before. It was the three Nephites that never tasted of death.

"And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he touched every one of them with his finger save it were the three who were to tarry, and then he departed.
And behold, the heavens were opened, and they were caught up into heaven, and saw and heard unspeakable things."
(3 Nephi 28:12)

"And there are none that do know the true God save it be the disciples of Jesus, who did tarry in the land until the wickedness of the people was so great that the Lord would not suffer them to remain with the people; and whether they be upon the face of the land no man knoweth.
Be behold, my father and I have seen them, and they have ministered unto us."
(Mormon 8:10)

"For behold, thus said Jesus Christ, the Son of God, unto his disciples who should tarry, yea, and also to all his disciples, in the hearing of the multitude: Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature;"
(Mormon 9:22)

To say I have a new appreciation for those commanded to tarry is an understatement. These appear to be the most valiant of the Lord's disciples.



Day 2136

No comments:

Post a Comment