Thursday, December 3, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 72:24-26

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 72:24-26

"A few words in addition to the laws of the kingdom, respecting the members of the church - they that are appointed by the Holy Spirit to go up unto Zion, and they who are privileged to go up unto Zion -
Let them carry up unto the bishop a certificate from three elders of the church, or a certificate from the bishop;
Otherwise he who shall go up unto the land of Zion shall not be accounted as a wise steward. This is also an ensample. Amen."

This made me think about temple recommends, and now important is to always have one. I also thought about Elder Ronald A. Rasband recent General Conference talk and reviewed it. Here are some highlights.

"I remember hearing President Howard W. Hunter in his first general conference address as the 14th President of the Church. He said: “It is the deepest desire of my heart to have every member of the Church worthy to enter the temple. It would please the Lord if every adult member would be worthy of—and carry—a current temple recommend.” I would add that a limited-use recommend will set a clear path for our precious youth.

We have been experiencing a time when temples have been closed or limited in use.....Being worthy to attend the temple, however, has not been suspended. Let me emphasize, whether you have access to a temple or not, you need a current temple recommend to stay firmly on the covenant path.

However, I felt prompted to encourage them to renew or receive temple recommends. Even though they could not present them at the temple, they would be presenting themselves before the Lord pure and prepared to serve Him. Being worthy to hold a current temple recommend is both a protection from the adversary, because you have made a firm commitment to the Lord about your life, and a promise that the Spirit will be with you."
(Elder Ronald A. Rasband, "Recommended to the Lord", Oct 2020 General Conference)

I don't ever want to be without a temple recommend. Even if I physically cannot go to temple I want a recommend for the moment I can go. Having a current temple recommend means I am a wise steward in what I am responsible for. I can just imagine when the pandemic is over and all the temples are fully open the mayhem that will ensue, with everyone with a lapsed temple recommend trying now to obtain one. I was thinking it would be just my lucky to having a normally expiring recommend at that time. So I marked my calendar to remind myself to try and renew my temple recommend a month prior. That way if there is a delay I don't have a lapse in my recommend being current.


Day 2075

No comments:

Post a Comment