Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 91:1-2

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 91:1-2

"Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha - There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;
There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men."

Joseph Smith was working on translating the Old Testament when he came to the ancient writings called the Apocrypha. He inquired of the Lord regarding them and received this revelation. It was not needful for him to translate them. This chapter also says, "And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;" (vs 5)

This year I finally felt ready to read them. I have to say it was an interesting experience. There were parts I felt inspired and learned from them. I really enjoyed "The Greek Additions to Esther". I did bookmark several passages in other books. It was cool to find the name Nephi in there. However, there were other parts I felt were kin to fables. Overall, I have to say I read it and felt the other scriptures are what is needful. I really don't feel a desire to read the apocrypha again. Though I would encourage others to read it when they feel they are ready.


Day 2094

No comments:

Post a Comment