Sunday, December 20, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 89:19

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 89:19

"And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;"

I have read and studied the word of wisdom many times. I challenged myself to ponder on something I had never pondered on before in this chapter. This time I looked at gaining wisdom. It also referenced the story of Daniel, Hananiah (Shadrach), Mishael (Meshach) and Azariah (Abed-nego). Where Daniel asked Melzar, the prince of the eunuchs to give them pulse to eat for ten days, to prove who faired better them or the children that ate of the king's meat.

"So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.
Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.
As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king inquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm."
(Daniel 1:14,16-17, 20)

Now I reasoned, that if the word of wisdom is to show "forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days" that having the blessing of wisdom, knowledge (hidden treasures), skill in learning, visions and dreams, and understanding are vital if not even more so than the health of the body at this time. Of course I do want both. We are warned in the very beginning that the word of wisdom exists due to evil and conspiring men. I had always thought of these evils as in processed foods harming the body but I hadn't thought of them really dimming our ability to receive gifts of the spirit. Then that light bulb went off that it's called the word of Wisdom, with an emphasis on the wisdom. Maybe that is the key element in this whole chapter. I had only focused on the destroying angel passing me by because I wasn't inviting death with a poor diet. Now I really see this as a key motivation for this being given to the saints in the last days. We need wisdom and the gifts of the spirit to survive the evil designs of conspiring men.

What I took away from pondering this was a personal challenge to only eat wholesome foods for ten days and see how I fair. Of course, I want to do this all my life but ten days seem like where I need to start. I did laugh at myself, as Christmas treats are all around me. I will begin this challenge after the holidays. For what I eat the rest of the family eats. I think I would be hit with a rebellion on Christmas Day if I only gave them pulse. After the riches of the "kings table" a modest diet will be a very welcome change.



Day 2092

No comments:

Post a Comment