Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 17:11-12

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 17:11-12
"Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depths, or in the heights above.
But Ahaz said: I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord."

Oddly, I had an experience the other night where someone sent me a message that I didn't read until the following morning. They said that they were impressed that I would have a dream that night and it was really import that I remember all of it and tell them what it was the next morning. I replied in the morning "Hmm, I didn't have any dreams." What I didn't say was if I did have a dream I wouldn't tell you. Then they told me I needed to pray about having a dream and then tell them. I didn't respond, because I absolutely would not do that. I don't ask the Lord for such things to satisfy someone else's curiosity. It's also not appropriate that someone else would be getting impressions about me dreaming things and telling them. I certainly wouldn't let them interpret any of my dreams for me either. Asking for dreams and visions is about as wrong as asking for signs in my book. The Lord knows were to find me when he has something to share.

This all reminded me of a talk by Elder Renlund where he told someone he would not pray about what they were asking either.

"I told him that he was mistaken, and he implored me to pray about it. I told him I would not."

He went on further to explain.

"I did not need to pray about this request for one simple but profound reason: only the prophet receives revelation for the Church. It would be “contrary to the economy of God” for others to receive such revelation, which belongs on the prophet’s runway.
Personal revelation rightly belongs to individuals. You can receive revelation, for example, about where to live, what career path to follow, or whom to marry. Church leaders may teach doctrine and share inspired counsel, but the responsibility for these decisions rests with you. That is your revelation to receive; that is your runway.
The promise of personal revelation through the Holy Ghost is awe-inspiring, much like an airplane in flight. And like airplane pilots, we need to understand the framework within which the Holy Ghost functions to provide personal revelation. When we operate within the framework, the Holy Ghost can unleash astonishing insight, direction, and comfort. Outside of that framework, no matter our brilliance or talent, we can be deceived and crash and burn.
...The scriptures also teach us how to receive personal revelation. And we ask for what is right and good and not for what is contrary to God’s will. We do not “ask amiss,” with improper motives to promote our own agenda or to fulfill our own pleasure. Above all, we are to ask Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ, believing that we will receive.
...A second element of the framework is that we receive personal revelation only within our purview and not within the prerogative of others."
(Elder Dale G. Renlund, "A Framework for Personal Revelation", Oct 2022 General Conference)


Day 3388


No comments:

Post a Comment