Monday, June 14, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 19:9-10

Today's Favorite Verse: Leviticus 19:9-10
"And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.
And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the Lord your God."

This made me think of mayonnaise jars and scrapping the bowl clean. I was raised on "Use it up, make it do, or do without". You never left anything remaining. You scrapped the last out of the mayonnaise jar, and took out every last bit from the mixing bowl. When I watch a cooking video it drives me nuts when the last bit isn't scrapped out of the bowl. I always think what a waste. I would have had an issue with not harvesting the corners of my field, or not gleaning every last piece of grain. The counsel was not just for the wealthy land owner, it was for the little farmer too. Something had to be left for the poor to recover. It wasn't given freely, they had to work to recover it.

This made me wonder how I was leaving something behind for the poor. Then I thought of my cooking pans I just threw away in the garbage can. Seriously, there was no life left in them. They were so bad I couldn't even give them to DI for someone else to use. The only value they held was their cost in dumpster space. This made me think that maybe I could lighten up on the "use it up" part, and replace sooner by donating more gently used items to DI. I have benefited so much by buying second hand. I have felt very blessed that I have been able to find things that I need at prices I can afford there. Maybe I could be a little bit more generous in my donations so others can benefit. It really is time to clean out the corners of my house.



Day 2268

No comments:

Post a Comment