Saturday, April 10, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 44:34

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 44:34

"For how shall I go up to my father, and the lad be not with me? lest peradventure I see the evil that shall come on my father."

I actually was pondering on a different verse in this chapter and as I went to look something up I stubbled upon this story relayed by Elder Quentin L. Cook. I had forgotten all about it, and in return relayed it to my son. We had just had a lovely discussion during family scripture reading about failed missions, that really are not failures. They take us where the Lord wants us to be. In pondering all this now I think I will change what verse I was originally pondering on and relay the story about the missionaries that missed traveling home on the Titanic.

"When Alma was a young man, he had a friend named Fred who was less active in the Church. They had numerous discussions about serving a mission, and eventually Alma Sonne convinced Fred to prepare and serve. They were both called to the British Mission. At the conclusion of their missions, Elder Sonne, the mission secretary, made the travel arrangements for their return to the United States. He booked passage on the Titanic for himself, Fred, and four other missionaries who had also completed their missions.

When it came time to travel, for some reason Fred was delayed. Elder Sonne canceled all six bookings to sail on the new luxury liner on its maiden voyage and booked passage on a ship that sailed the next day. The four missionaries, who were excited about traveling on the Titanic, expressed their disappointment. Elder Sonne’s answer paraphrased the account of Joseph and his brothers in Egypt recorded in Genesis: “How can we return to our families and the lad be not with us? He explained to his companions that they all came to England together and they all should return home together. Elder Sonne subsequently learned of the Titanic’s sinking and gratefully said to his friend Fred, “You saved my life.” Fred replied, “No, by getting me on this mission, you saved my life.” All of the missionaries thanked the Lord for preserving them."
(Quentin L. Cook, "The Songs They Could Not Sing", Oct 2011, General Conference)

I have come to have so much more peace in my life as I don't stress what seems to be failure. I have learned that when I place it in the Lord's hands, miracles, mercy and grace will take me where I need to be.



Day 2203

No comments:

Post a Comment