Friday, May 22, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 22:15

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 22:15
"And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may not be cast off at the last days? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy."

I am reminded of the earlier words of king Lamoni's father as he feared Ammon had the power to kill him.

"Now the king, fearing he should lose his life, said: If thou wilt spare me I will grant unto thee whatsoever thou wilt ask, even to half of the kingdom."
(Alma 20:23)

At that time his life over physical death was worth half of his kingdom. Yet when he is converted and desires eternal life it is worth all that he posses, including his kingdom. It is amazing the value things have considering which direction and master you are facing. We truly cannot be born again until we are willing to give up all our sins and that was the next step in king Lamoni's father conversion. 

"O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck as if he were dead."
(Alma 22:18)

The king was then dead to the natural man within him and he was born again. When Aaron takes his hand and raises him the king begins to minister to them and his whole household is converted to the Lord. More than all the material possessions or status we may gain in this life, the giving up or all our sins, even our favorite sins, is what brings eternal life.


Day 1880

No comments:

Post a Comment