Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Words of Mormon 1:3-4

Today's Favorite Verse: Words of Mormon 1:3-4
"And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from  the plates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi.
And the things which are upon these plates pleasing me, because of the prophecies of the coming of Christ; and my fathers knowing that many of them have been fulfilled; yea, and I also know that as many things as have been prophesied concerning us down to this day have been fulfilled, and as many as go beyond this day must surely come to pass - "

What struck me this time reading Mormon's account is that he had just finished abridging the plates of Nephi down to the time of king Benjamin. It is then that he finds these other plates of the same account. What he reads is pleasing to him. I can just imagine him wondering if he needed to start all over the work he had just done. It goes on to tell that he adds these plates to his record because the spirit whispers it is for wise purpose to do so. I know the purpose now. It's because the first 116 pages translated by Joseph Smith contained the records Moroni originally abridged, and those where later lost. In its place the Lord had prepared the small plates of Nephi to tell an even greater spiritual account.

I can just imagine Mormon wondering if he failed when he first abridged the plates of Nephi and then found the more pleasing smaller plates of Nephi. It gives me an appreciation in doing something and it not turning out quite right. It is never a failure or waste. There is purpose in the entire experience if I let it. 



Day 1829

No comments:

Post a Comment