Saturday, April 25, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse - Acts 21:13-14

Today's favorite verse: Acts 21:13-14
"Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done."

In this chapter Paul is told many times by others what is to await him if he goes to Jerusalem, his death. They warn him not to go, but yet Paul insists he must go. I wondered why he felt to ignore those warnings. Why did he not stay where it was safe. Then I realized that those warnings are given by prophesy and by the Holy Ghost. it wasn't so much a warning for him to flee but to be prepared for what was to come. It also served to prepare the saints.

The key here was Paul was at peace with what he must do. He wasn't depressed and suicidal. He knew the Lord's will and would do it whatever the cost. I thought about hard things I have had to do and go through in life. I realize the ability to do hard things come with the peace the spirit gives as you must do them. I did sit and think about Joseph Smith as he went to his martyrdom saying, "I am going like a lamb to the slaughter, but I am calm as a summer's morning. I have a conscience void of an offense toward God and toward all men. If they take my life, I shall die an innocent man, and my blood shall cry from the ground for vengeance, and it shall be said of me, "He was murdered in cold blood."

Paul previously said he was pure of the blood of men, he had joy, he had finished his work. What more could a person hope to say when their mortal life is ending. Yet I still cry for Paul and for Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment