Monday, June 1, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 14:3, 12

Today's favorite verse: 1 Corinthians 14:3, 12
"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church."

In this chapter Paul is talking about speaking in tongues and prophesying. I learned that prophesy is the greater gift. If a man speaks in tongues and there is no one there to interpret, then its like he is speaking to the air. It has no value. Prophesy needs to edify, exhort and to comfort. I pondered on the purpose of spiritual gifts. It must edify, otherwise it is of no value. I would not seek them to just experience them or have fun.

It made me think about what I posted on Facebook yesterday. It was a report on a new fad going around with kids. It is basically a simplified ouija board using a piece of paper and two pencils. Kids are thinking its a game, but actually its a trap and tool of the devil. Seeing this fad just grieved my soul. Satan always has a counterfeit to the spiritual things of God. To touch Satan's devices the Holy Ghost can only flee. It will not edify, it will only bring destruction to the soul. To understand true spiritual gifts, from the right source, the scriptures tell me I have a marker or key. Does it edify? Did it teach me to be better? Did it bring me comfort? Does it bring me closer to Christ? With this test I cannot be deceived of the source. These are the things I am to seek after.

No comments:

Post a Comment