Friday, June 12, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Corinthians 9:8

Today's favorite verse: 2 Corinthians 9:8
"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:"

Earlier in the chapter Paul is talking about giving to others and what we reap in return. What really struck me is the phrase "sufficiency in all things". I am told in my patriarchal blessing that as I remember those less fortunate that I would have sufficient for my needs. I have found this is true. 

This is how I learned this lesson. One day I was a little upset that once again some money had come my way and no sooner did I have it then something broke and I had to use the money to replace it. There went my "extra". I was frustrated that I could never save up and have money to just do something fun. Others seemed to get to play. Then the phrase "sufficient for my needs" came to me. I then realized the Lord was taking care of me. I wasn't punished by having something break and loose money. I was given the money because the Lord knew it was going to break and I needed to fix it. He took care of my needs. I have to be a wise steward and often figure things right to the penny but it does work out. But, only if I think of the less fortunate and give as I can. 

I had a discussion on this subject just last night with my son. What would be better, to have all the money you wanted and the ability to buy anything or to always have sufficient for your needs? I conclude last night and still today, that I would much rather have sufficient for my needs. Why? Because, people can have money flow through their hands like water. But, they are never satisfied with what they have. I would much rather be happy that I have enough. Through good works and feeding my soul with the scriptures I am satisfied. I find I am not always looking for the next thing I want to buy to make me happy. Just that fact is worth its weight in gold. With being satisfied you have everything in the world that you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment