Thursday, June 18, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Galatians 2:16

Today's favorite verse: Galatians 2:16
"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

I know Paul is referring to the law of Moses in this instant, because earlier he speaks of the division of those of the circumcision and not. Some of the other apostles would not eat with the uncircumcised. Paul in this verse is explaining how that is wrong.

I pondered over this verse because I know scriptures are not just a nice history lesson. Things people had to learn at a different time. I asked myself what would be the law today that separates people in His church? I could see it as going through any ordinances of the gospel, baptism, sacrament, temple ordinances for an outward appearance. It could not only be ordinances but traditional things, wearing modest clothing, obeying the word of wisdom, going to EFY, attending seminary, saying flowery prayers at church, bearing your testimony, men wearing white shirts to sacrament, eating funeral potatoes. I could go on and on and on. 

The concern is when we think we are righteous because outwardly we appear to be so. Even to the exclusion of others that don't follow these things. Even if they are of true importance or not. If I did any of this and had not true faith in Christ, being born again, all these actions are in vain. I have to check myself and make sure I don't do things for the outward appearance, but for my faith and love in the Savior. I am only justified according to my faith. Justification only comes through Christ. Once again I am reminded I cannot judge others on that outward appearance. Which made me ponder on wolves in sheep's clothing how easy it would be to appear faithful and not be and lead people astray. This scripture has a lot of meaning for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment