Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 15:29, 58

Today's favorite verse: 1 Corinthians 15:29, 58
"Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."

It's been another really long day for me. Moving from one project to another since 4:30 this morning. I started to read my scriptures while at the temple this morning, but didn't get to finish it until late tonight. Verse 29 is one of my all time favorite scriptures. It mentions the early saints doing baptisms for the dead. I sat and pondered on the time I have spent at the temple making sure that baptisms and other temple ordinances are done in behalf of my deceased family members. Have my actions been in vain, since it has no effect on them if they chose to ignore it? 

I know from verse 58 that when I am involved in the work of the Lord my labor is not in vain. Not that it forces another to accept what I do in their behalf, but the Lord knows I have spend my time and effort out of love. Maybe they accept the gift, maybe they don't, but the Lord knows my heart. In turn every moment spent in the temple the Lord gives back to me knowledge of eternal things. Sometimes a witness of acceptance on the other side. If I only went to the temple once for my own ordinances, I am sure I would have never absorbed even a tiny drop of what almost 33 years of temple worship has given me. It matters not to me if the person accepts my gift, what matters to me is that I'm there, in the House of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment