Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Corinthians 6:14, 16-17

Today's favorite verse: 2 Corinthians 6:14, 16-17
"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

I read this chapter this morning sitting in the chapel of the Payson Temple, waiting for the first general session of the endowment to begin. A special 6:15 session had gone ahead of me. Beside me sat my best friend since high school Laura Chandia, who had recently returned from a vacation to Italy. It was a day in the temple I will never forget. From where I was sitting these verses took on a whole new meaning, never dreaming all it could mean in a few minutes. 

Laura told me earlier that from her visit to the great cathedrals she could understand the wisdom in our faith not letting the whole world walk into our LDS temples. She witnessed people taking pictures in St. Peter's Basilica where it was clearly marked not to. Children and teenagers making noise and running around. People chewing gum and eating food. In the tombs were Peter's bones, and past popes laid, people were disrespectful and destroyed any attempt at finding comfort or peace in what should have been a holy place. It was so bad that they made people leave and closed it for a time.

Before an LDS temple is dedicated the world is invited in to come see this  "House of the Lord" and what a Mormon temple looks like. The Payson Temple Open House period was completed and Sunday the dedication sessions were held. Monday the temple was closed to be prepared. Tuesday morning those doors were opened to the faithful and closed to the outside world. It was now the House of the Lord. Only those worthy of a temple recommend are allowed to enter. Inside those holy walls people learn of heavenly things. There is peace, beauty and light all around. I treasure my moments there.

As I moved from the chapel to an endowment room my joy was full. I saw no one there to destroy, mock, or cast darkness on the surroundings. It was full of light. As I waited in the endowment room for the session to begin I had an incredible experience. A feeling so strong came over me I knew that the Savior was there at the temple. I could feel His presence in His House. I knew at that moment if I walked those halls I would be able to find the very door He was behind. I understood at that very moment He was busy, for every ordinance that can be done in the house of the Lord was being performed and He was accepting its operation. The Lord had already accepted the house that was dedicated to him, but now He was approving the running of the temple and the people that were within. I have no doubt the Lord walked the halls, and stood in those rooms today at the Payson Temple. Just like these verses said He would. I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment