Sunday, May 31, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 13:3

Today's favorite verse: 1 Corinthians 13:3
"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

This is the beautiful chapter on charity. As I pondered it I was prompted to look up the definition of charity as the world views it. The world would see giving to the poor as charity, but Paul is telling us there is more to it. I realized each element was import to understand and I needed some type of list to keep them in mind. So I wrote one up and added some words so I can understand it better. I posted one on my computer room wall, and another in our bathroom sign holder, so the family can read.

Charity
Suffereth long (has patience)
Kind
Envieth not (happy for others)
Vaunteth not itself (is humble)
Not puffed up (not prideful)
Doth not behave unseemly 
Seeketh not her own (no prejudice)
Not easily provoked (holds their tongue)
Thinketh no evil (is pure minded, no guile)
Rejoiceth not in iniquity (seeks righteousness)
Rejoiceth in all things
Beareth all things
Believeth all things
Hopeth all things
Endureth all things

I know there is a word for "Doth not behave unseemly" and I couldn't think of it. I was thinking along the lines of acting not only in an appropriate manner, but there is an internal compass that guides their actions. Maybe temperate, showing moderation or self-restraint. So my list needs work. I thought about how the world likes to twist the true meaning of words. I want to make sure I get back to the true definition of charity. There is so much more for me to ponder on this chapter. I think its going to be a life-long pursuit.


No comments:

Post a Comment