Thursday, November 10, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 145:18

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 145:18
"The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth."

I wondered how you could not call upon the Lord in truth? Then I thought of Elder Renlund's General Conference talk, and in particular this part.

"A third element of the framework is that personal revelation will be in harmony with the commandments of God and the covenants we have made with Him. Consider a prayer that goes something like this: “Heavenly Father, Church services are boring. May I worship Thee on the Sabbath in the mountains or on the beach? May I be excused from going to church and partaking of the sacrament but still have the promised blessings of keeping the Sabbath day holy?” In response to such a prayer, we can anticipate God’s response: “My child, I have already revealed my will regarding the Sabbath day.”
When we ask for revelation about something for which God has already given clear direction, we open ourselves up to misinterpreting our feelings and hearing what we want to hear. A man once told me about his struggles to stabilize his family’s financial situation. He had the idea to embezzle funds as a solution, prayed about it, and felt he had received affirmative revelation to do so. I knew he had been deceived because he sought revelation contrary to a commandment of God. The Prophet Joseph Smith warned, “Nothing is a greater injury to the children of men than to be under the influence of a false spirit, when they think they have the Spirit of God.”
(Elder Dale G. Renlund, "A Framework for Personal Revelation", Oct 2022 General Conference)




Day 2782

No comments:

Post a Comment