Thursday, October 21, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 2:12,17, 23-24

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 2:12,17, 23-24
" Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.
Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD: for men abhorred the offering of the LORD.
And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people.
Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD’s people to transgress."

These sons of Eli served in the temple as priests. I could not help but think of the interview I heard of those that used the temple unworthily, even sharing false doctrine with others there. Thankfully though not temple workers. I would not want to stand in the shoes of these individuals. I think the important thing to remember is the role I need to play. I need to be mindful and watchful because throughout time there have been those that want to pervert and abuse ordinances and doctrine and lead people astray. Just like the sons of Eli those that work in darkness eventually are brought to light. It made me think of the importance of spiritual self-reliance. One cannot afford to be without it.

"Spiritual self-reliance is essential to our eternal well-being. When we are spiritually self-reliant, our testimonies do not depend on the testimonies of others. We seek our own spiritual experiences through praying daily, studying the scriptures, and exercising faith in Jesus Christ. We turn to our Heavenly Father for His help to resolve our own difficult problems. We are also able to strengthen others in their times of spiritual need."
(Sunday School: Come, Follow Me, Youth 2017, November: Spiritual and Temporal Self-Reliance, "How can I become spiritually self-reliant?")



Day 2397

No comments:

Post a Comment