Sunday, October 31, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 12:23-25

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 12:23-25
"Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:
Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
But if ye shall still do wickedly, ye shall be consumed, both ye and your king."

It gave me pause to think you could sin by ceasing to pray for someone. Then I remembered another prophet that was chastened by the Lord for not praying.

"And it came to pass at the end of four years that the Lord came again unto the brother of Jared, and stood in a cloud and talked with him. And for the space of three hours did the Lord talk with the brother of Jared, and chastened him because he remembered not to call upon the name of the Lord.
And the brother of Jared repented of the evil which he had done, and did call upon the name of the Lord for his brethren who were with him. And the Lord said unto him: I will forgive thee and thy brethren of their sins; but thou shalt not sin any more, for ye shall remember that my Spirit will not always strive with man; wherefore, if ye will sin until ye are fully ripe ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. And these are my thoughts upon the land which I shall give you for your inheritance; for it shall be a land choice above all other lands."
(Ether 2:14-15)

Those in leadership over others have a responsible to teach, exhort and to pray for those they lead. Otherwise the sin is also answered upon their heads.

"And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day."
(Jacob 1:19)

"Now, my beloved brethren, I, Jacob, according to the responsibility which I am under to God, to magnify mine office with soberness, and that I might rid my garments of your sins, I come up into the temple this day that I might declare unto you the word of God."
(Jacob 2:2)

Preside John Taylor said on one occasion, speaking to the brethren of the priesthood: 'If you do not magnify your callings, God will hold you responsible for those you might have saved, had you done your duty."

After the prophet or those with a stewardship over others have done all that they can to warn the people, they have rid their garments of our sins. They are not responsible. Ultimately the person then must repent or be destroyed. The accountability is theirs alone to bear. Yet, we never stop praying for them.



Day 2407

No comments:

Post a Comment