Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Luke 18:81, 24, 27

Today's Favorite Verse: Luke 18:81, 24, 27
"And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they who have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."

This is another verse where more details are given in the Joseph Smith translation.

"And he said unto them, It is impossible for them who trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God; but he who forsaketh the things which are of this world, it is possible with God that he should enter in."
(JST Luke 18:27)

The problem with the certain rich ruler was not that he was rich and couldn't give to the poor. It was that he trusted in his riches and things of the world more. He could not part with all that he had. He probably could have done a little but not all. That was actually the extreme test that Jesus had for him. It's the test we also go through. The love of riches was a sin, do we give up all our sins or want to hold onto some of them.

It made me think of the contrast between the rich ruler and the Lamanite king, father of king Lamoni

"And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.
And it came to pass that when Aaron had said these words, the king did bow down before the Lord, upon his knees; yea, even he did prostrate himself upon the earth, and cried mightily, saying:
O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day. And now when the king had said these words, he was struck as if he were dead.
(Alma 22:15, 17-18)



Day 3150

No comments:

Post a Comment