Sunday, September 3, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Zechariah 7:5-6

Today's Favorite Verse: Zechariah 7:5-6
"Speak unto all the people of the land, and to the priests, saying, When ye fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh month, even those seventy years, did ye at all fast unto me, even to me?
And when ye did eat, and when ye did drink, did not ye eat for yourselves, and drink for yourselves?"

Today is Fast Sunday and it felt like a good day to ponder on what these verses meant about fasting. I didn't know what the fifth and seventh months meant but that seems important. This is what I learned

"While the Jews were in captivity in Babylon, they celebrated four different feasts in remembrance of events that took place when Babylon attacked and destroyed Jerusalem.
Zechariah reminded the people that they had set up the feast days to remind them of tragedies, but not once did they remember the Lord through feasts while in captivity."
(Old Testament Student Manual Kings-Malachi, "Preparations for the Lord's Return in Glory (Zechariah)", (33-26 Zechariah 7:5, 8:19. What was the Purpose of the Feasts)

It appears we cannot let rituals overtake righteousness. True remembrance of the Lord is required, and gratitude for all that he has given us. It seems more and more I fast in gratitude for what the Lord has done for me, then for anything I need for myself.



Day 3077

No comments:

Post a Comment