Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 12:36-37

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 12:36-37
"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

This reminded me of an experience I had in the early days of Covid. One Sunday morning I happened to start reading jokes that were Covid related. For whatever reason they started to make me laugh. It was rather out of character for me to laugh at such things, but this day I found them really funny, and I was just cracking up. Then all of a sudden I heard very distinctly, "Those that laugh, will mourn". Boy did I sober up and do an about face on the matter. I remember even asking my siblings to not share jokes about this, especially on a Sunday. Well, that didn't go over well at all. But, I learned for myself that it does not please the Lord to laugh and make light of such things, especially when people were suffering and dying. Idle words includes loud laugher, making light of things that are inappropriate.

"Another principle is to be cautious with humor. Loud, inappropriate laughter will offend the Spirit. A good sense of humor helps revelation; loud laughter does not. A sense of humor is an escape valve for the pressures of life."
(Richard G. Scott, "How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life", Apr 2012 General Conference)



Day 3100

No comments:

Post a Comment