Thursday, September 21, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 7:21-23

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 7:21-23
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

I think the Joseph Smith Translation has a very important clarification on that last verse. It wasn't that Christ did not know them, it was that they didn't know Christ.

"And then will I say, Ye never knew me; depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
(JST Matthew 7:33)

Why did they not know him, even though they prophesied in his name, cast out devils and did other works? Because it was all done by their own will and not according to the Father's. They are hypocrites, furthering their own works and desires, and not the Father's. It is through seeking to do the Father's will and keeping his commandments that we come to know Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. When you follow your own will you're listening to the wrong source and lead astray.




Day 3095

No comments:

Post a Comment