Thursday, September 23, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 23:6

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 23:6
"Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left;"

One of the lessons I have learned during this pandemic is to stay the course. Follow the prophet and the mainstream of the church. Don't go right or left because either side will lead you astray. Stay the course right down the middle. That doesn't mean I straddle the fence. It means stay on the narrow path that is straight and sure. The Lord is there and will lighten the way through all that is ahead. I have to be like Peter and not get distracted by the storm going on around me, but keep my eyes on the Lord.

I have come to understand Lehi's dream of the tree of life with new eyes. The importance of staying on the strait and narrow path and not to take my hand off the rod of iron for a moment.

"And I also beheld a strait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head of the fountain, unto a large and spacious field, as if it had been a world."
(1 Nephi 8:20)

That there will be others on the right and on the left that will mock at those that choose to follow the prophet.

"And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.
And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not."
(1 Nephi 8:26-27, 33)

Those that choose to not follow the prophet think they are wise, but sadly they will perish. Right now there is a real possibility they will perish physically, but more devastating is they are perishing spiritually.

"O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish."
(2 Nephi 9:28)

Sometimes, I wish I could literally shake people that say their "personal revelation" told them to set aside the counsel of a prophet of God. Can they not see who's plan they are following? They have become that verse.

"For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me."
(Doctrine and Covenants 132:22)



Day 2369

No comments:

Post a Comment