Saturday, September 11, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 11:20

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 11:20
"For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses."

This verse just didn't sound right. The Lord doesn't cause people to harden their hearts, just to destroy them. I looked at the Joseph Smith Translation and now it makes sense.

"For it was of the LORD to destroy them utterly because they hardened their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that they might have no favour, that they might destroy them in battle as the LORD commanded Moses."
(JST Joshua 11:20)

Sometimes you can just tell something wasn't translated correctly. As I was reading this I thought of the conversations I've had lately trying to identify what has happened to people. My daughter today was saying it was racism. I didn't agree with this because it's not always a matter of race, or culture. Then I realized it was hardheartedness. That causes people to fight against anyone that does not think as they do. That causes selfishness, and the inability to forgive and repent. They lose that natural love and compassion for others. Then I was really sad because after reading this I realize if people have truly become hard hearted it means we are ripe for destruction.

hardheartedness = an absence of concern for the welfare of others




Day 2357

No comments:

Post a Comment