Friday, March 29, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Amos 8:11

Today's Favorite Verse: Amos 8:11
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:"

This is talking of the great apostasy that happened after all the original apostles died. There was a falling away, and a famine in hearing the words of the Lord. The gospel has once again been restored to the earth. Prophets and apostles speak the words of the Lord. In fact in eight more days I will sit at their feet and listen to them in general conference. I can't wait!

I also thought of its other meaning. How this famine in hearing the words of the Lord is still happening today. In this case it is self-imposed. For there is an epidemic of apathy for reading the scriptures around the world. Years past if there was only one book in the home it was the Bible. Families would gather to read from it. Now not only is a bible a rare commodity, it's even rarer for a family to gather and read it.

I am grateful for the counsel given in the last general conference. The emphases on home-centered gospel learning. Where as families we gather to read from the New Testament each day. My family was already reading the scriptures together, but I love the feeling of synergy that comes with being part of this worldwide. There is unity in our church as we gather together to discuss what we are learning in our homes. I enjoy these discussions and seeing each family embrace learning the gospel in their homes. There is a different feeling that I cannot find words to describe. We are being feed and it is good.



Day 1462

No comments:

Post a Comment