Saturday, August 27, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 99:1, 6

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 99:1, 6
"Behold, thus saith the Lord unto my servant John Murdock - thou art called to go into the eastern countries from house to house, from village to village, and from city to city, to proclaim mine everlasting gospel unto the inhabitants thereof, in the midst of persecution and wickedness.
And now, verily I say unto you, that it is not expedient that you should go until your children are provided for, and sent up kindly unto the bishop of Zion."

In the chapter header it says "For over a year, John Murdock had been preaching the gospel while his children - motherless after the death of his wife, Julia Clapp, in April 1831 - resided with other families in Ohio."

I could not help but ponder on how many fathers were called to preach the gospel in the early days of the church. These missions were not short but lasted many years. Now the church doesn't do that, and I am grateful that I have had my husband with me while raising my children. But, I think that may not always be so. What the Lord established in the early days of this dispensation he could once again call for us to do at the ending of it. In Revelations 7 & 14, I read of the 144,000 sealed up and called to proclaim the gospel, one last time to the four corners of the earth. It is understood that they would be high priests. I would have to assume that would also be our husbands and fathers. I reflected on how I would feel if my husband was so called. I would feel extremely blessed and honored. Could not the early saints wives felt the same thing? The sacrifice called for was instead a great blessing. I do not know if I will ever live to see that day, but if I did, the fact of knowing their mission was in preparation of the Savior's arrival, would be the ultimate sign of his coming. What an incredible feeling that would be. Those involved in the Lord's work would not be surprised at his coming.


Day 518


No comments:

Post a Comment