Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 95:4

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 95:4
"For the preparation wherewith I design to prepare mine apostles to prune my vineyard for the last time, that I may bring to pass my strange act, that I may pour out my Spirit upon all flesh -"

So many great verses to pick from, but the words "strange act" gave me pause. I had to look up the scripture references and Isaiah 28:21 mentioned it too. This is speaking about the need for the temple. I indeed through the temple strange when I first went. In fact I pondered on my first experience there.

I was married in the Washington D.C. Temple, and received my endowment and sealing on the very same day. I recall sitting outside the dressing room next to the temple clothing rental area with my mother, waiting for things to begin. As I sat on that bench I heard the elevator door ding, and turned to see a man and women, hand in hand, walking down the hall  towards me. They had just finished an endowment session and that was my first look at temple clothes. At the time I didn't realize what they were.

I almost busted out laughing. I nearly pointed to them and whispered to my mother "Look at what they are wearing!"  I thought them totally strange people that had somehow gotten in. But, something stopped me from mocking and I never said those words. I kept it to myself and just wondered. It wasn't long after that, that I found myself dressed in those same temple clothes. I was so grateful I hadn't mocked what I didn't yet understand. My realization of how different the temple ceremonies where to my expectations, and my prior desire to laugh, made me ponder deeper all that was taking place, no matter how strange they seemed to me at first.

After my marriage and sealing to my husband I found myself walking hand and hand back to the dressing rooms, going past the bench where I earlier sat. I had a lot to think about, but one thing was for sure I loved my temple clothes from the moment I put them on. They are my most favorite things to wear, and I cannot wait for the endowment session so I can put them on again. They now feel like me. I have thanked my Heavenly Father repeatedly for them. I thank Him repeatedly for letting me learn his ways so I can grow. What was once strange is not so anymore.


Day 514

No comments:

Post a Comment