Friday, August 12, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 84:40-41

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 84:40-41
"Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved.
But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come."

I had to sit and ponder on how this describes a condition where a person will not receive forgiveness, here or in the eternities. I had always thought the Lord's arms would be stretched out to me? I knew you could not sin against the Holy Ghost and be forgiven, but these verses mean something I hadn't really thought about. 

It was talking about the higher priesthood prior to these verses. I think it is talking about the oath and covenants made in the temple. If you altogether turn from them, probably meaning willful rebellion and mocking of that which is sacred, not just a casual laziness and going inactive in the church. It would have to be a completed breaking and turning your back on the covenants you made. Can one never come back from that? I don't understand all things, but what I think happens is you don't ever feel the desire to come back once you've done that. Satan owns you, the Lord is beyond your grasp. You will never seek a claim on forgiveness because your heart will no longer seek Him. The spirit is gone. Forgiveness can never be granted. That just makes me weep.


Day 503


No comments:

Post a Comment