Friday, August 5, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 77:10

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 77:10
"Q. What time are the things spoken of in this chapter to be accomplished?
A. They are to be accomplished in the sixth thousand years, or the opening of the sixth seal.

This is a very interesting chapter. While translating the book of Revelations the Prophet Joseph Smith inquired of God the meaning of certain things. I went back to those parts of Revelations given in explanation to see if I could understand it any better. I know when I last read the book of Revelations I often referred back to this chapter. The explanations are very helpful.

When I read this verse I remembered recently I had seen the Hebrew Calendar and the year they said it was. It was a huge number and I was rather shocked that the Jews had been keeping one continuous calendar all this time. I couldn't remember what year it was so I looked it up. The Hebrew Calendar says God created Adam and Eve October 7, 3761 B.C. and its now the year 5776.  So there is 224 years and a few months left before we reach 6,000 years. 

What I pondered on is how wicked this world would be in another 224 years if we keep on the direction we are headed. Somehow I can't see it being that long before the Lord comes again. It may not be my lifetime, but I really believe the youth today will see him in theirs. Then my mind thought of two scriptures.

Doctrine & Covenants 49:7
"I, the Lord God, have spoken it; but the hour and the day no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor shall they know until he comes."

Matthew 24:22
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

So what I know is I don't know when the Lord is coming. I have strongly felt that time has sped up and days have been shortened and they are passing at an amazing rate. But what could also be shorted is the number of years. 224 years could be shortened to any length of time for the elect's sake. I did all types of crazy math trying to figure out how close it was to midnight. Then I stopped and realized it makes no difference. I will meet the Lord when my life's work is done, be it at the Savior's second coming or when my natural life is over. I will not know the hour or the day when I leave this mortal existence. What's important is that I am ready to meet him at any time. Being side tracked by calendars, time tables and math and any manner of speculation will not save me in the end. Its what's in my heart and my relationship with the Lord that will serve me well. Now is the time to prepare to meet my Savior for I know someday I will. Oh, that I might be found worthy in the end.


Day 496


No comments:

Post a Comment