Thursday, August 4, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 76:12

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 76:12
"By the power of the Spirit our eyes were opened and our understandings were enlightened, so as to see and understand the things of God -"

119 verses with powerful instructions on the order of the afterlife. I cried through all of it. Once again how do I pick one verse to ponder on? This was not revelation it was a vision given to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon. I could feel how powerful of an experience it would have been for them to receive this. The mysteries of God opened up are so very precious. 

What I reflected on in this verse is the role of the Spirit in enlightening my understanding. I cannot know the things of God unless the Spirit is present. I can read tons of books on the gospel. Books about the scriptures and even the scriptures themselves and learn absolutely nothing, if the Spirit is not there. It is only through the Spirit that things that were once hidden to me come to light. It is only through the Spirit that things open up to my understanding. It is overwhelming to me that the Spirit I feel is the same Spirit that opened up this vision to Joseph and Sidney. Father in Heaven gave me the same gift of the Holy Ghost and there is nothing lacking, if I am found worthy of its full potential. 

Day 495

No comments:

Post a Comment