Thursday, August 25, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 97:3, 5

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 97:3, 5
"Behold, I say unto you, concerning the school in Zion, I, the Lord, am well pleased that there should be a school in Zion, and also with my servant Parley P. Pratt, for he abideth in me.
And I will bless him with a multiplicity of blessings, in expounding all scriptures and mysteries to the edification of the school, and of the church in Zion."

I looked at the footnotes and not only does this speak of the school of the prophets, but also schools for children. Number one among this is to expound scriptures. It made me think of the conditions of our public schools today. You cannot read your scriptures there. I reflected on how important the opening of your mind is to learning. Reading the scriptures does that very thing. It gives you the mind to understand mysteries, which is anything you didn't earlier know. It really could be any type of subject, like sewing, arithmetic, or nuclear science. 

I pondered on how I went from an average high school student to a perfect 4.0 college graduate. What made the difference? I read my scriptures. Reading the scriptures prior to study opened my mind. I was able to put things in logical order in my brain and able to understand. Yes, mysteries were opened to my mind. As I have seen my children go to college I have encouraged them to read their scriptures and promised them the ability to understand would be there. Sadly, not all of them have tested the truthfulness of that concept. A mother can always hope, I can hear the Father echoing those same words. 

Day 516

No comments:

Post a Comment