Monday, July 6, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Colossians 4:6

Today's favorite verse: Colossians 4:6
"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

I have to admit when I read that my speech was to be seasoned with salt, my first impression was pouring salt into an open wound. I knew that image was not right, so I pondered on what salt meant. Then I remembered that salt brings flavor to food, otherwise it can be bland and good for nothing. This lead me on a scripture chase of all the verses that contained salt. I didn't realize there is a covenant of salt. Salt was an important item in the law of Moses. I couldn't help but think of Elder Packer's role in my being able to do that scripture chase. Here was an man to be counted as being the salt of the earth.

So now I think I am beginning to understand this verse and salt better. I must speak with kindness and grace towards others. My words must be savored with salt, to make the gospel taste good to others. To bring out the desire to supp at the table of the Lord. This savor will bring forth the goodness of the Lord. Salt can sting if we have open wounds, but it can also be used to preserve foods. Likewise the salt of the gospel preserves our souls and heals opens wounds. If I cook meat that is salted it brings out a delicious savor. Likewise the heat I experience in life, by my trials and tests brings out the greatest savor in me. I also cannot overlook the similarity of the words savor and Savior. The only difference is the "i". I alone can make the difference if I am counted as his salt. As I obtain more savor I can become like my Savior. By entering into everlasting covenants I am made as the salt of the earth and the savor of men. May I never be salt that loses its savor, and be counted as good for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment