Thursday, July 16, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Timothy 2:9

Today's favorite verse: 1 Timothy 2:9
"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;"

I had to look up broided hair, it means plaited or braided. I had to wonder what is wrong with braided hair? It made me think of all the YouTube videos I see posted on Facebook of all these new braided hair techniques. They look so simple to create, but intricate and beautiful at the same time. I could see why we are not to wear costly apparel but I did ponder over the braided hair part quite a bit. Then I started to see a pattern. Wearing costly apparel and fine jewels feeds our vanity or pride. We soon start to place ourselves above others with our comparisons. As I look at the videos of people's hair being braided I see a lot of pampering going on. Such a simple thing as hair can put to much focus on self.

Why the warning? Because spending to much time and attention in areas, that have the danger of feeding our vanity, can make us walk into a trap we don't need to fall into. 

So I pondered on if vanity and pride is the danger then what is the blessing of wearing modest apparel? I had actually thought quite a bit on that months ago because of what I saw at the temple. As I went more often I found I had less and less concern over the fashion of my clothes. There really was a freedom in no longer competing or even judging myself. I don't know why but modest clothing makes me feel a closer connection to God. I felt like I had found a secret, but I can't put it into words. Maybe its because when I stopped focusing on myself I began to see people's souls instead of their clothes. One thing I do know, It just feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment