Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Today's Favorite Verse: John 7:38-39

Today's Favorite Verse: John 7:38-39
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

What I pondered on was "the Holy Ghost was not yet given". I would think the Spirit was given before Jesus was glorified. I thought about all the holy prophets that came before Him. They had the priesthood and surely would have had the Holy Ghost. Was it just that the gift of the Holy Ghost was not given to those baptized at that time? I tried to learn more and this is what I found.

"The Holy Ghost has been manifest in every dispensation of the gospel since the beginning, being first made known to Adam." (Bible Dictionary, "Holy Ghost")

"And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you."
(Moses 6:52)

"And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men."
(1 Nephi 10:17)

"For some reason not fully explained in the scriptures, the Holy Ghost did not operate in the fulness among the Jews during the years of Jesus’ mortal sojourn. Statements to the effect that the Holy Ghost did not come until after Jesus was resurrected must of necessity refer to that particular dispensation only, for it is abundantly clear that the Holy Ghost was operative in earlier dispensations. Furthermore, it has reference only to the gift of the Holy Ghost not being present, since the power of the Holy Ghost was operative during the ministries of John the Baptist and Jesus; otherwise no one would have received a testimony of the truths that these men taught. When a person speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost that same power carries a conviction of the truth unto the heart of the hearer. The Holy Ghost knows all things and can lead one to know of future events."
(Bible Dictionary, "Holy Ghost")

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."
(John 16:7)


Day 4128

No comments:

Post a Comment