Friday, January 26, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 1:2

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 1:2
"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:"

Being called saints is truly what the Lord intended for his people. Christian is what the world calls the followers of Christ. This week I had a friend on Facebook post this quote of President Nelson.

"The word Christian appears in only three verses of the King James Version of the Bible. ...
In contrast, the term saint (or saints) appears in thirty-six verses of the Old Testament and in sixty-two verses of the New Testament. ...
Despite its use in ninety-eight verses of the Bible, the term saint is still not well understood. Some mistakenly think that it implies beatification or perfection. Not so! A saint is a believer in Christ and knows of His perfect love. The giving saint shares in a true spirit of that love, and the receiving saint accepts in a true spirit of gratitude. A saint serves others, knowing that the more one serves, the greater the opportunity for the Spirit to sanctify and purify."
(Russell M. Nelson, "Thus Shall My Church Be Called", April 1990 General Conference)

I posted a reply about the origin of the use of Christian vs Saints. I wanted to give a longer reply because I had researched itr, but left a simple statement instead. Seeing mention of it again I will share my longer response written earlier on when the name of Christ's followers as Christians was given. It is found in both the New Testament and Book of Mormon. It wasn't until I read these verses in the Book of Mormon that I realized something.

"For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church.
And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come."
(Alma 46:14-15)

"And thus he was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians."
(Alma 48:10)

The name Christian was given to the followers of Christ by their enemies. Curiously very similar to how Latter-day Saints were given the nickname "Mormons" as a derogatory, and disrespectful name by those not of the faith. It appears in both cases these nicknames were later adopted by Christ's followers, including used as a reference by apostles. In the case of the nickname "Mormon" the prophet, Russell M. Nelson, has emphasized that we need to stop using that name. We need to refer to the full name of the church and that we are latter-day saints. I realize now that to refer to myself as a Christian would be taking the name Christ's enemies gave to his followers. So interesting the name Christian is once again being used in very derogatory ways by society.

I then looked for the name "Saint" or "Christian in the Doctrine and Covenants. Christian is no where to be found. Christ refers to us multiple times as saints. It is used 100 times in the Doctrine and Covenants.

"For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
(Doctrine and Covenants 115:4)

Never, once does the Lord, Jesus Christ refer to his followers as Christians. We are His saints. If I take upon me the name of Christ then I should refer to myself as a the name he gave his followers, saint. Latter-day Saints is now used, not only because Christ gave us that name, but it shows which dispensation I am in. So as I am pondering this I realize it's totally ok for other Christians to not refer to me as a Christian. Because that is not the name Christ wanted to be used by his followers. I am a latter-day saint, a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of His Restored Church. There is a lot of power in that name.



Day 3222


No comments:

Post a Comment