Friday, November 26, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Samuel 7:1-2, 12-13

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Samuel 7:1-2, 12-13
"And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the LORD had given him rest round about from all his enemies;
That the king said unto Nathan the prophet, See now, I dwell in an house of cedar, but the ark of God dwelleth within curtains.
And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever."

David tells Nathan the prophet that he wants to build a house for the Lord. It's interesting to think about the condition of the tabernacle that Moses built. It was about 300 years old at this point. Until then there had never been a temple built. It was a good desire, yet David is told no by the Lord. That one of his sons would build it.

Why couldn't David build the house of the Lord? It was because he had shed to much blood.

"And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God:
But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.
Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days."
(1 Chronicles 22:8)

It now makes sense why the David was finally given rest from his enemies. It wasn't so much for him, it was for his children and the role they would play.



Day 2433

No comments:

Post a Comment