Friday, November 12, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 24:5-6, 15

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 24:5-6, 15
"And it came to pass afterward, that David’s heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul’s skirt.
And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD’s anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD."
The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand."

David finds Saul resting in a cave. He secretly cuts off Saul's skirt. The footnote for skirt is "OR hem, corner, border which signifies the portion that symbolized his authority". The cutting of this skirt, and David telling Saul he had done so, was more than just "I could have taken your life", but it shows he is losing his authority.

After cutting off Saul's skirt the spirit constrains David to spare Saul's life. The reason? Saul is the Lord's anointed. David had to leave this all to God's will to judge the matter with Saul. David had to trust that God would deliver him. For one thing David knew if he touched the Lord's anointed God would be after him.

"Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm."
(Psalms 105:15)

"Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them."
(Doctrine and Covenants 121:16)



Day 2419

No comments:

Post a Comment