Sunday, November 17, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Timothy 1:3, 6

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Timothy 1:3, 6
"As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine.
From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;"

Footnote References
Swerved = missed the mark
Turned = Apostasy of the Early Christian Church
Vain Jangling = vain, idle, fruitless discussion

What Paul warned the early church that they would head into apostasy if they strayed from sound doctrine. This is the same warning we have to today. Vain, idle, fruitless discussion reminds me of President Dallin H. Oaks, Oct 2019 General Conference talk "Trust in the Lord". He especially pointed out that we not teach what is not official doctrine. He used the example of spirit world and what we do and do not know. That we are not to teach dreams or visions that others had in the matter. I especially feel sensitive to this. I recognize that my near-death experience had symbolic meaning for me.

One vain, idle and fruitless discussion that rather drives me a little crazy is the obsession with a heavenly mother. Not if there is or isn't one, but that I tend to feel some women are so obsessed with the subject, and any glimmer of a mention, that if given the chance they would worship her instead of the Father. Otherwise why are they so obsessed with this subject? It simply is not what we have been taught. In fact I feel a concern whenever I hear people mentioning this subject that they will go the way of the primitive church into apostasy and begin to pray to and worship a "Heavenly Mother". There must be a very specific reason why revelation has not been given on this subject. I cannot help but see it as no coincidence in how many times false doctrines include worshiping the feminine. The adversary must know the feminine is a human weakness, and the Father as a protection has left that subject alone. All that is needful is to focus on the Father and the Son, and we will not be lead astray.



Day 1693

No comments:

Post a Comment