Saturday, April 16, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 1:15-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 1:15-17
"And I, being fifteen years of age and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted and knew of the goodness of Jesus.
And I did endeavor to preach unto this people, but my mouth was shut, and i was forbidden that I should preach unto them; for behold they had willfully rebelled against their God; and the beloved disciples were taken away out of the land, because of their iniquity.
But I did remain among them, but I was forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts; and because of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake."

When Mormon was 10 years old Ammaron gave him instruction that when he was 24 years old he was to go to the hill Shim and find all the records of this people. He was to leave them there except for the  plates of Nephi. Upon those plates he was to record all that he had seen in his day. When he was 11 years old his father took him to the land southward to Zarahelma. Where he witnesses the war that began between the Lamanites and Nephites. When this battle breaks out the Lord took away the beloved disciples that would never taste death, and the work of miracles and healing did cease. How very alone Mormon must have felt at such a young age. It totally makes sense to me that at the age of 15 the Lord visits him. He needed to be incredible strong spiritual to record the destruction of the Nephite people. 

I wish I couldn't say I understand the forbidding of preaching the gospel to someone. I have had to experience this when someone close to me willfully rebelled against the Lord. You can love them, care for them, but you cannot discuss the gospel with them. Not only for your personal safety, but to prevent the mocking of the Lord. That is such a painful thing to go through. I was blessed to have other family members that I could discuss the gospel with so it was never a subject I couldn't talk to anyone about. It just breaks my heart for Mormon to be so totally alone. Yet, I know he really wasn't because the Lord visited him, and I am sure all the Nephite prophets throughout the ages were surrounding him, just on the other side of the veil. When we are on the errand of the Lord, we are never left alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment