Sunday, April 3, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 19:24-25

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 19:24-25
"And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus prayed unto the Father, he came unto his disciples, and behold, they did still continue, without ceasing, to pray unto him; and they did not multiply many words, for it was given unto them what they should pray, and they were filled with desire.
And it came to pass that Jesus blessed them as they did pray unto him; and his countenance did smile upon them, and the light of his countenance did shine upon them, and behold they were as white as the countenance and also the garments of Jesus; and behold the whiteness thereof did exceed all the whiteness, yea, even there could be nothing upon the earth so white as the whiteness thereof."

Christ asks the twelve disciples and the multiple to pray. Jesus went a little way off from them to kneel and pray. His words were so great and marvelous that they cannot be written or uttered by man. He returned to find the disciples praying without ceasing. I can't even imagine praying without ceasing. I wish I was physically and mentally able to do that, but I guess that would never be enough. I truly would need to be filled with the spirit to be able to pray in such a manner.

It is only through the spirit that I would know what to pray for. Prayers that are guided by the spirit are answered, because I wouldn't ask amiss. What must it feel like to have Jesus' countenance smile upon me. To be so full of the spirit that your countenance changes white?

This reminds me of the talk Elder D. Todd Christofferson gave at Elder Richard G. Scott's funeral. "I saw Elder Scott less frequently in recent months, but each time I did he seemed to have grown more saintly, more pure. His face was almost translucent, radiating a holy countenance. I thought of Alma's question 'Can you look up to God with a pure heart and clean hands? Can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?' Yes, yes he could, and yes he does." (min 30:14)

Christ's countenance must have been smiling upon Elder Scott as he was preparing to return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment