Monday, November 30, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 2:21-22

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 2:21-22
"I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending yo breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another - I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants."
And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you."

King Benjamin has gathered his people to give them his final words before turning the kingdom over to his son Mosiah. At one point he mentions how his "whole frame doth tremble exceedingly while attempting to speak". I could just picture this frail old beloved king in such great humility speaking to the people he loved. I could feel that it was an overpowering experience. I saw just a tiny taste of it this last conference when President Thomas S. Monson's strength began to fail him while speaking. The message means all the more when you know it took everything out of them to give it to you.

I could tell that King Benjamin was a humble man. He even worked to support himself so his people didn't need to support him. His words are so full of love and humility. This verse shows how he knew he could never repay the Lord for all he has done for him. This made me weep for it is so true. I can never repay the Lord for all he has done. The price of keeping his commandments is so small, especially when they are a pleasure to keep. I can never repay my debt to him. Yet, even with all this he still blesses me. The thought of it is overpowering. 


No comments:

Post a Comment