Sunday, November 22, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 5:25

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 5:25
"And he said unto the servant: Look hither and behold the last. Behold, this have I planted in a good spot of ground; and I have nourished it this long time, and only a part of the tree hath brought forth tame fruit, and the other part of the tree hath brought forth wild fruit; behold, I have nourished this tree like unto the others"

Every time I read the Book of Mormon I dread this one part in Jacob, which is Zenos' allegory of the tame and wild olive trees. I don't like having attitudes like this so I fervently prayed about it. I told the Lord how hard this chapter was for me, it is 77 verses long. I'm not a gardener or a fruit tree keeper. I just don't understand it. I asked that my eyes might be open to understand something. That I would find a love for this allegory.

My prayers were answered in an amazing way. The verse I quoted is where my eyes were opened. I saw that the tree with both tame and wild fruit were the Nephites and Lamanites, on this American continent. I thrilled being able to finally see them. Jacob had said in the previous chapter how hard it was for them to write on the gold plates. That only things which where precious were included. He took so much effort to write down Zenos' allegory, I just knew my attitude of wanting to skip over it was wrong. That it had to be important.

Once this key was unlocked for me I could understand what this chapter was talking about. It's long there's a lot. I love Zenos' allegory of the tame and wild olive trees. It's beautiful. In fact I read it over twice. I see my day, how the Lord is preparing his church and people for the final gathering. It also speaks on the millennial reign and battle. There are so many wonderful gems in it.

One part that stood out to me was when the Master (Heaven Father) asked the servant (Jesus Christ) "Who has corrupted my vineyard?" The Savior replies "Is it not the loftiness of thy vineyard."  I understood it immediately, that the downfall was pride. Satan is an enemy to God, but it is the pride of man that lets him have any effect. Ultimately man is accountable for his own sins. So who is at fault? it is us and our pride. It was thrilling to read the footnote and have it confirmed that it was speaking of pride. No wonder President Ezra Taft Benson's talk on Pride means so much to me. It is the major downfall of mankind.  It is the greatest thing I struggle with. I know it will be the torn in my side until the day I die. I have to constantly guard against it. Yes, there is great counsel in the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees, and I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment