Thursday, November 26, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Jarom 1:11

Today's Favorite Verse: Jarom 1:11
"Wherefore, the prophets, and the priests, and the teachers, did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffering the people to diligence; teaching the law of Moses, and the intent for which it was given; persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was. And after this manner did they teach them."

Jarom is the son of Enos, son of Jacob, son of Lehi and a brother of Nephi. He is writing only 15 verses because his father Enos had commanded him to kept their genealogy. As I read his words I felt that he was a very spiritual man. He was exceeding humble when he says "For what could I write more than my fathers have written? For have not they revealed the plan of salvation? I say unto you, Yea; and this sufficeth me." This is not a man of pride, but of honor. I can't wait to sit and talk to Jarom and learn more of his story.

Jarom also says "And there are many among us who have many revelations...have faith, have communion with the Holy Spirit, which maketh manifest unto the children of men, according to their faith."  I see the key to them having the spirit by these words "They observed to keep the law of Moses and the sabbath day holy unto the Lord. And they profaned not; neither did they blaspheme. And the laws of the land were exceedingly strict."

He says their kings and leaders are mighty men in the faith of the Lord; and they taught the people the ways of the Lord. I learned because of this they were able to withstand the Lamanites that came up to them in battle. They also became exceedingly rich and prospered. They had their pains because of the Lamanites hatred towards them, but I also think these were amazing spiritual times to those who loved the Lord.

As I pondered on this verse the part that stuck out to me was "look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was." This was 361 B.C. and the Savior had not been born yet or atoned for their sins, yet they were living as if he already had. I pondered on how my life would be different if I lived my life as if I had already seen the Lord. Would I behave differently? Would it not give me even greater faith to act as if what I already want has already happened? The spirit has been telling me for a while I needed to behave in this manner. Now I think I see the pattern here in the scriptures. There is a process of coming to Christ and this is part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment