Sunday, November 1, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 17:14

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 17:14
"Therefore, the Lord himself shall give you a sign - Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and shall bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

I was struck today while reading this that the sign of the Savior's birth would seem so impossible, that a virgin would conceive. I have always taken that fact for granted because I know it happened. But those awaiting Immanuel's birth would think it impossible to happened as it did. They must have thought that prophecy around in circles trying to make some sense into it so they could understand it happening. Most likely that the virgin conceived on her wedding night and wasn't still a virgin when she gave birth. But, in fact it took place literally as it was prophesied. 

That made me wonder if I am guilty of doing the same thing with prophecies of events to come? Yet, I know with God nothing is impossible. I recalled then the example of Abraham's wife Sarah being told that she would conceive even though she was 90 years old and long past that age or bearing children. Yet Isaac was born. God has always done the impossible as signs to his children. Signs come as prophesies or blessings to God's people. Those that did not recognize Christ's birth already had earlier signs from the Lord that all things were possible. Children can be born to mothers that physically couldn't have them.

There is never a good sign that comes to those that test or try the Lord. I remember a story about Joseph Smith, where a Campbellite preacher came to him wanting to be convinced of the truth. He didn't want to hear his story he wanted to witness a notable miracle or see a sign that manifested the power of God. I loved Joseph's reply " Well, what will you have done? Will you be struck blind, or dumb? Will you be paralyzed, or will you have one hand withered? Take your choice, choose which you please, and in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ it shall be done." The preacher replied that it was not the kind of miracle he wanted. Joseph went on to explain that a wicked and adulterous generation seek after signs. (see full story in Journal of Discourses, Vol.2, p.326, George Albert Smith, June 24, 1855)

I don't ever want to be on the wrong end of wanting to see a sign. I am grateful I don't need signs to believe. What I do want is to be more careful about mentally making prophesies into something they are not, or trying to make things fit when they don't. I think God is pretty clear and literal about what he says with prophesies and signs. I just have to be patient as his hand is revealed. It would appear the danger otherwise is missing the fulfilling of a prophecy because you prejudged it to happen a different way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment