Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 3:5

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 3:5
"For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is form all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases." 

I made a really interesting mistake while reading the scriptures tonight. I read the wrong chapter, skipping ahead. I picked Mosiah 4:1-3 as my favorite verse where it talks about the people falling to the earth, for the fear of the Lord had come upon them, after hearing the words spoken by king Benjamin.  I am still going to share what I pondered on having missed chapter 3 at first.

Every time I read king Benjamin's speech I wonder how these words made a whole group of people fall to the earth. I have never fallen to the earth over anything. I feel lacking not having that experience. I want to be so overpowered by the spirit of the Lord that I fall to the earth. I do a great deal of weeping, but never falling. I have wept even more reading king Benjamin's words than I did the last time. I am having a change of heart, but this groups change was immediate with absolute faith.

I pondered on if there are some words missing that king Benjamin spoke? Is it a cultural thing for the people to fall to the earth? It mentions them doing that in several parts of the book. Or I wonder, is my heart just not there yet? All I know is I have a desire to just keep re-reading this part of the Book of Mormon until I understand it. I know when I ponder on the Lord and all he had done for me I picture myself falling to my knees and kissing his feet. I can picture this, I have a desire to do it, I know I will. But just hearing a king or prophet speak I do not know if I would do it. I have a lot of thinking to do on this one. 

So as I went back to re-read I found I had missed chapter 3. Now my eyes were opened. The people had heard of the coming of the Lord. I know if I had a moment like that, knowing my prophet was telling me the Lord's return was just around the corner, I know I would fall to the earth because of the news. My joy would be without measure. I have comfort in my heart that I'm not lacking right now. It's just that the experience they had just hasn't happened yet to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment