Thursday, October 5, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 21:22

Today's Favorite Verse: Matthew 21:22
"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

There are some important noted additions to this verse.

"And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you."
(3 Nephi 18:20)

This verse gave me two thoughts. First, I thought of President Nelson's recent general conference talk, and the quote about prayers sounding like a shopping list. I was so excited to go find it, since the transcripts of the talks are now online.

"As you think celestial, your heart will gradually change. You will want to pray more often and more sincerely. Please don’t let your prayers sound like a shopping list. The Lord’s perspective transcends your mortal wisdom. His response to your prayers may surprise you and will help you to think celestial."
(Russell M. Nelson, "Think Celestial!", General Conference, Oct 2023)

My next thought was how our prayers will be answered if we don't ask amiss. It is through the spirit that we ask according to God's will. I love this scripture when Nephi is given the sealing power, because he will not ask contrary to God's will.

"And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will."
(Helaman 10:5)

It is through experience that we come to understand how to pray, believing it is right. I remember when I learned my father had cancer. As much as I would have loved to see him healed, I was constrained from asking for it. It was right to ask that strength be given to him, and that he have comfort, and peace. That prayer was answered, because it was according to God's will that he come home. Prayers are always answered when believing we are asking according to God's will.

"Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;"
(Doctrine and Covenants 88:64)



Day 3109

No comments:

Post a Comment