Sunday, April 17, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 3:1, 3

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 3:1, 3
"Then Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests, and they builded the sheep gate; they sanctified it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the tower of Hananeel.
But the fish gate did the sons of Hassenaah build, who also laid the beams thereof, and set up the doors thereof, the locks thereof, and the bars thereof."

I knew what a sheep gate was but when I read fish gate I paused and wondered if it also had a significance? If so I didn't know what it was. As I continued in this chapter I found there were numerous other gates that they repaired.

Different gates listed.
Sheep gate (vs. 1)
Fish gate (vs. 2)
Old gate (vs. 6)
Valley gate (vs. 13)
Dung gate (vs. 13, 14)
Fountain gate (vs.15)
Water gate (vs. 26)
Horse gate (vs. 28)
East gate (vs. 29)
Gate Miphkad (vs. 31)

From the footnotes only the sheep gate and the fish gate mention their purpose. The fish gate was access to the merchant's quarter. Out of all the gates repaired only the sheep gate appears to have been rebuilt by priests and sanctified. What was so important about the sheep gate? Here is what it has in the footnote.

"A gate probably in the northeast wall of Jerusalem near the temple, for access of sacrificial animals". This reminds me of a talk this last general conference where a sheepfold is mentioned, and having to enter through the gate.

"A fold, or sheepfold, is a large enclosure, often constructed with stone walls, where the sheep are protected at night. It has only one opening. At the end of the day, the shepherd calls the sheep. They know his voice, and through the gate they enter the safety of the fold.
The people of Alma would have known that shepherds stand at the narrow opening of the fold so that when the sheep enter, they are numbered and their wounds and ailments noted and cared for one by one. The safety and well-being of the sheep depend on their willingness to come into the fold and to stay in the fold.
Within the fold of God, we experience His watchful, nurturing care and are blessed to feel His redeeming love. He said, “I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.” Our Savior has graven upon His palms our sins, pains, afflictions, and all that is unfair in life. All are welcome to receive these blessings, as they “are desirous to come” and choose to be in the fold. The gift of agency is not simply the right to choose; it is the opportunity to choose the right. And the walls of the fold are not a constraint but a source of spiritual safety.
Jesus taught that there is “one fold, and one shepherd.” He said:
“He that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. …“
And the sheep hear his voice … ,
“… and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.”
Jesus then stated, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved,”14 teaching clearly that there is only one way into the fold of God and only one way to be saved. It is by and through Jesus Christ."
(Elder Randy D. Funk, "Come into the Fold of God", Apr 2022 General Conference)

I could just imagine the Savior watching over all that enter through the sheep gate. Once inside this is how I come to know the shepherd. What a beautiful thing to ponder on this Resurrection Day.

"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
(John 10:9-11, 14)



Day 2575

No comments:

Post a Comment